To vote in federal, state and municipal elections, you must be a registered voter. Students and other members of the Cornell community who are not from New York State have the option to vote in NYS or in their home state.

If you are graduating and moving to a new address, you will need to update your voter registration. If you are moving within the state in which you are currently registered to vote, you can simply update your voter registration information according to state laws. If you are moving to another state, you will need to re-register with that state.

Cornell Votes
Cornell Votes

For assistance with voting in New York State or elsewhere – including registering to vote, checking your registration status, requesting an absentee ballot, and finding your polling place – email or visit the Cornell Votes website, a nonpartisan, student-led effort to increase voter registration and civic engagement among all Cornellians.

Additional Resources

For information related to federal and statewide elections, in addition to local elections for the 100 largest U.S. cities by populations, visit Ballotpedia. And for more information, both specific to voter registration as well as to general governmental information, visit the below websites.